Category Archives: Bob’s Blog

Bob Hogg’s Blog


I am very sad to say that we have lost another Hawks Nest friend. Bill McLennan, long-time partner of Owner Sue Fleming, passed away in Ottawa, Canada Sunday after a short illness. Sue had provided loving care to Bill during his illness.

Bill and Sue were our close friends for many years at the Hawks Nest, and we continued seeing them for the last several years at New Smyrna Beach.

May he rest in peace

To see Bill’s obituary, please click Here.

You may send condolences to Sue at:

Susan Fleming
43 Kinmount Private
Kanata, ON K2T1K3

Please note that U.S. Forever stamps do not work on mail to Canada. First Class postage for one ounce or less is $1.20.

UPDATE: It turns out that you can use Forever Stamps. At present, 3 Forever Stamps will be sufficient to send a one-ounce letter to Canada.


It is with a very heavy heart that I tell you that our very good friend, Karen Norval, long-time second generation Hawks Nest owner, and wife of Graham Norval, passed away Sunday, March 8, 2020 in Hamilton, Ontario Canada.

She succumbed after a relatively brief but valiant battle with cancer. Karen and Graham sold their weeks at the Hawks Nest a few years ago, but still maintained the many friendships they formed there over the years, and followed the news from the Hawks Nest, sad as it has been.

She will be missed not only by her family, but all of us that were privileged to know her and Graham.

For details on her obituary, click here. Condolences can be sent to Graham and her family at
11 Ravine Crescent
Townsend, ON N0A1S0


P.S. US Forever stamps do not work on mail to Canada. First Class postage for one ounce or less is $1.20.


After my letter to the board of February 13, Treasurer Mike Oostmeyer responded to me.

Below are his response, and my response to him.


I am writing this to clarify some of the information contained in your email dated 1-29-2020.

While I agree that the Board has not formally responded to the questions in the “Document” dated 1-29-2020, I believe they have stated earlier that they would do so after we know the actual amount of the insurance settlement. I also believe some Board members have informally responded.

I believe that Keith Gilliver had a discussion with you covering the questions posed in the Document.

You and I had a conversation Monday, February 10, 2020, where I thought the questions had been
answered to your satisfaction.

You and I had a phone conversation Thursday, February 14th, 2020 about both your email and the Document.

I also spent some time with a group of concerned owners that Joe and Cathy Shipman brought together Wednesday, February 5th, 2020, in Marathon, where I distributed copies of the Document and then used it as my outline/notes to make sure I covered everything with them.

Further, I remain as I always have, available to any Hawks Nest owner(s) to discuss the
situation and status of where we are, and where I believe we are going in this process.

It might be helpful to make my cell phone number available to your group of owners. That
number is 231-349-7648.



Dear Mike,

First, I want to say that I’m grateful for all you have done and are doing for the Hawks Nest and the owners. I hate to think where we would be without your efforts. You are correct that both you and Keith have been in contact with me and we have had several discussions on the subject of what needs to be done at the Hawks Nest.

Respectfully, while you and Keith are board members, you are not the entire board, and don’t even constitute a quorum. The letter was written to the board and was signed by owners representing over 250 unit weeks. To my knowledge, the board has not responded to them, and apparently doesn’t intend to. All the owners, not just the ones who signed the letter, deserve answers to these questions just as soon as it is appropriate, so that we may make informed decisions as how to proceed.

We all know that there are certain questions that cannot be fully answered until we have a final settlement, and we understand that. We did ask a number of questions that can be answered however, and they should be addressed without delay, in writing, to everyone.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that several of the board members have not been active in the affairs of the Hawks Nest for quite some time, and I understand that there may be good reasons for that. However, the owners need and deserve a complete, fully engaged board, and I fear that this is not currently the case.

Best Regards,

Bob Hogg


Adam Clausen, Son of Hawks Nest owner, Kathy Clausen and grandson of original owner Van Adams, passed away Tuesday Morning. He was always a friendly young man, and was very helpful to us back when we were having the pig roast week 11. If you wish, you may send condolences to:

The Clausen Family
1807 N. Park Dr.
Mt. Prospect, IL 60056

Kathy has told me that in lieu of flowers, donations in Adam’s name to the Turtle Hospital in Marathon would be appreciated.

Lack of Response From the Board of Directors

Due their lack of response to our letter, the following was sent to the board on February 13:

Dear Board Members:

The email below was sent to you on January 29, 2020. To date, the 109 owners representing 254 unit weeks have not received answers to any of the questions/issues raised in the “Document”.

The answers to 1, 2, 10 and 11 of the “Document” should be readily available for you to answer immediately.

Answers to 4-9 of the “Document” will require the opinion qualified legal counsel. Have you requested that opinion? If not, when do you intend to do so?

You also have not provided any estimate of costs to reconstruct a five-story building and the source of said estimate, assuming that we would be allowed to rebuild such. Do you have such an estimate? When do you intend to get one? If not, why not?

Reconstruction/redevelopment of a new five story building apparently would require the Hawks Nest to obtain a variance from code. What is the Board’s plan to obtain such a variance?

Have you determined whether ROGO credits are available to the Hawks Nest and if so, in what amounts if the property has to be redeveloped? If not, when do you intend to determine the amount? If not, why not?

These are some issues that need be answered:

1. Has the Board determined that “Very Substantial” damage has occurred? If so, on what date?

2. Have “reliable and detailed estimates of the cost of repair and restoration” by a qualified expert been obtained? If not, it should immediately be obtained. Before any meeting is called to vote on how we proceed, the Owners must receive that information. We ask that this be provided to all owners immediately at the conclusion of the arbitration process and settlement.

3. Before any such meeting the Owners will need to know the final net amount of insurance that we have to use for “repair and restoration”. We ask that this be provided to all owners immediately at the conclusion of the arbitration process and settlement

4. Will we need a quorum for any such meeting? If so, what will constitute a quorum?

5. Will the majorities required in i. and ii. above be based upon the total number unit owner votes cast or upon the total number of units (i.e. 1456)

6. How will the unit weeks that are owned by the Association be treated in any such vote?

7. Will the votes essentially be treated as in an election?

8. How, when and where will votes be counted? Written procedures must be developed and a document explaining the ballots should be developed and provided to the owners as a part of the voting process?.

9. Items 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8, should be answered by a qualified Florida licensed timeshare condominium attorney. The law firm of Lobeck and Hanson in Sarasota, Florida is so qualified and is still legal counsel for the Hawks Nest based upon a Retainer Agreement entered into in December 2016. The Owners should receive the written answers to these questions on the law firm’s letterhead prior to the meeting and prior to voting. We would further ask that the law firm develop a written document listing ALL required timelines and considerations owners should be aware of 30 days prior to voting so as to be fully informed on the consequences of their votes.

10. What is the current balance of the Hawks Nest cash on hand?

11. The Owners will also need to know the amount of ongoing expenses that the Hawks Nest is required to pay going forward, thus reducing our cash on hand.

12. Immediately upon conclusion of the arbitration ruling, please provide a detailed report on the conclusions of said conference.

13. We also ask that the following be provided to all owners immediately at the conclusion of the arbitration process and settlement and a copy posted to the Hawks Nest website:

a. A copy of the wind claim as filed by Keys Consulting.

b. A copy of the contract between Keys Consulting and the Hawks Nest.

c. All property appraisals (pre and post storm values) obtained by the Hawks Nest.

d. Engineering report provide by ACG Engineering.

e. Any estimate of costs to reconstruct a five-story building and the source of said estimate, assuming that we would be allowed to rebuild such.

14. Once the course of action has been determined, we would request that the Board publish the expected steps and a timeline for said activities to conclude the activities related to Hurricane Irma.

This is the most significant event in the life of the Hawks Nest and the owners listed below, on behalf of all owners, request that the Board of Directors take immediate steps to provide information, as requested, to all owners to aid in their decision making on this critical time.

Best Regards,

Bob Hogg

Email and Letter to the Board

Below is the cover email and the letter sent to the board by James Dobbs, Charles Lea, myself and 104 other owners representing 239 weeks. The letter, which appears after the text of the email,is four pages long, but only one page is visible at a time. to go to the next page, hover your cursor above the bottom of the page and up and down arrows will appear. click the down arrow to go to the next page, and the up arrow to see the previous page.

Dear Board Members:

First of all, thank you for all of your hard work related to the aftermath of the damage to the Hawks Nest by Hurricane Irma.

Attached is a “Document” that was put together by Bob Hogg, Charles Lea and Jim Dobbs. The “document” has been approved by 104 unit owners for which we had contact information, representing 237 unit weeks. Those names are listed on the document. The purpose of the “Document” is to give you our opinion as to the procedures required pursuant to the Hawks Nest Declaration of Condominium, XIV Insurance Provisions and to request information that needs to be provided to all unit owners as soon as possible and at least 30 days prior to any meeting to decide the future of the Hawks Nest.

In addition to the requests made in the “Document”, we believe that copies of any and all insurance policies, contracts, agreements, appraisals, engineering reports and litigation pleadings be placed on the Hawks Nest website.

Please also provide any estimate of costs to reconstruct a five-story building and the source of said estimate, assuming that we would be allowed to rebuild such. This is important as the owners weigh options. The Board has stated we would need a variance to be able to redevelop (rebuild) the building to its’ current five story height. What is the Board’s plan to obtain such a variance?

One more thing, ROGO (Rate of Growth Ordinance) is a Monroe County ordinance which limits growth (development and redevelopment) in the Keys. Are ROGO credits available to the Hawks Nest and if so, in what amounts if the property has to be redeveloped?

None of this is intended to be disrespectful of the Board. We would just like to know that we are all “on the same page” as we move forward at this very important time for the Hawks Nest. Communication and transparency are very important.

James B. Dobbs
Mobile: 614-361-2228

HN XIV Insurance Provisions final


In addition to our 10 weeks at the Hawks Nest, my wife and I have a two bedroom unit at the Reef, which is down by the airport. The Reef has Gulf of Mexico frontage, a marina which you can use based on availability, a pool with a clubhouse, and tennis courts. In addition, the units each have their own laundry facilities (no charge) and utilities are included in the rent. We have Week 8 (Feb 22-29) available for 2020.

I thought I would offer this to my friends at the Hawks Nest first, so if you would like to get down to the keys this spring, it can be yours for $1,200 for the week. Email me at, or call me at 906-225-5262.

Bob Hogg


I have been informed of the passing of long-time owner, Evangeline “Van” Adams, Mother of owner and former member of the Board of Directors, Kathy Adams Clausen, owner Dianne Adams McKenna and former owner Joanne Adams Stroud. Van’s 91st birthday was just a couple of weeks ago.

Condolences may be sent to:
N.H. Scott Funeral Home
1240 Waukegan Rd.
Glenview, IL 60025.

Van was a good friend of mine and Sue’s, and also of my parents, Ken and Flash Hogg. We have known Van for about 40 years. She will be missed.

Click Here for a link to Van’s obituary.

Possible Special Assessment for Kitchen Remodeling

In Gary Tucker’s recent hurricane update, he tells us that we will soon be getting a letter from the board regarding remodeling the kitchens and that he feels this is our only opportunity to do this. He adds that it’s likely that there would be a special assessment required to pay for the work.

I don’t think any of us would dispute that the kitchens need remodeling, and that this would be an opportune time to do it. And while we all appreciate forward thinking, I’m not convinced that it’s a good idea to be talking (and voting) on this before we know how we stand with the cost of the hurricane repairs, and whether or not a special assessment will be necessary to partially pay for the repairs or to obtain our financing, or both.

We do appreciate the effort and hard work put forth by Gary Rumberger, Gary Tucker and Mike Oostmeyer throughout all of this, but as owners of 10 weeks, multiple special assessments might just be more than we’re willing to pay.

While it may make sense to do the kitchen work while everything is torn up with the repairs, I’m not sure that this is our only opportunity. I think we might just be getting out in front of our skis a little bit, planning this project before we know how much the hurricane restoration is going to cost us.

We urge the board, management, and other owners to think very hard before we bite off more than we can chew.